View Single Post
Old 10.22.2015, 08:35 AM   #47379
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
But all this "funny or not funny" crap really neglects the main point of what I was trying to say earlier: Ween's music is almost objectively good. Every genre they play with, they nail it, and then bend it and twist it all to hell. I don't put on Ween when I want to laugh. I don't listen to comedy records, and I loathe gimmicky comedy bands. I listen to Ween when my brain can handle the overload of expertly crafted, schizophrenic music that is written with all the texture and care of a Lennon/Mccartney joint, no matter how ugly it may get, or how odd it might sound.

Bottom line: they're not a goddamn joke band. No more than Sebadoh (who I once saw them open for), or the Flaming Lips, or blah blah. Nobody likes joke bands. I think people would have an easier time with Ween if they stopped focusing on that massive misconception.
As you know, I am the one who pay attention only in music. Lyrics can be "hamtydamty" but if the music is great I just love it! After listening Mollusk & Pod I donīt think Ween have added nothing into it what Mothers Of Invention did in the sixties (I really hate those cheap synth drum machine sounds in the pod, they really should have put for example distortion between that ugly synth & recording machine, I am glad it didnīt prevent me to enjoy that album wholly). I think Ween is much more softer, some kind of pop version of the mothers that era. I am anyway glad I have listened it and maybe sometime in the future will listen it more when there is moment I havenīt got any other interesting album I havenīt listen yet (It might took long).

If I had heard Ween in the nineties, my opinion could of course be different. On the other hand I think it might not, because I think I am the only one here who thinks SY hasnīt made anything really special and new, but I anyway love it and itīs my favourite band.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|