View Single Post
Old 10.21.2015, 02:47 PM   #47370
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Yes. As far as I can tell, what separates a Ween lover and a Ween hater is whether or not the listener finds them funny. Personally I find them as funny as a wacky morning radio zoo crew.

That's not their kind of humor though. It's not whoopy coushion shit. It's not "zany" ... They're not They Might Be Giants. Their songs would never work as an opening theme to Malcolm in the Middle.

It's a much more cultish, dark humor. It's rooted a bit in the literary tradition of the Grotesque, in my opinion. Mervyn Peak's Gormenghast trilogy and its accompanying artwork, is a cultural starting point for a lot of Ween's imagery.

Like, check out this illustration:

Has fuckall to do with Ween, and yet... This totally feels like Ween to me. Like, down to the smallest detail.

"The Blarney Stone" is a good example of what I'm getting at... Is it cheap laughs and fart sounds? Not at all. It's a roaring pirate pub chant sung in a reverent Irish accent... Is that inherently funny? Is it "comedy"? No. But there's something about the song that makes me dumb ass smile.

And if you love Ween these lyrics might inspire you to sing along in your loudest, crudest voice. It's not really that it's funny, it's more that it's awesome in the way things are awesome to a child.

Get off my ass you wee bitty fuck
if I pull out the claymore you're shit outta luck
who's that girl, that pretty young thing
after I fuck her she'll get up and sing

Aye Aye Aye
sharpen your boot, and bludgeon your eye
Aye Aye Aye
the Blarney Stone brings a tear to me eye

down to the pub for a two shilling ale
the bread on the counter is going stale
if I don't get some fresh bread soon
gonna punch you in your face and bark at the moon

Aye Aye Aye
Aye Aye Aye

Aint got no girl 'cuz I haven't the time
got too many other things on me mind
Patty was nice she was pale and cute
but I threw her away like an old piece of fruit

Aye Aye Aye
Aye Aye Aye

got ooze in my pores my feet are all wet
got mold in my ears but I ain't dead yet
got stones in me bladder got a crack in me head
when Patty starts cryin' this is what I said

Aye Aye Aye
Aye Aye Aye

That shit is just weird. Not deliberate and hokey like tag team radio "Weenie and the Butt" clichés.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|