View Single Post
Old 06.18.2006, 02:31 PM   #102
tazerfloyd
empty page

tazerfloyd has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
imho dirty is not a mileston as sister, and daydream nation was.

and i also think that murray street was a milestone as well

so lets go to rather ripped

This is sonic youths pop album, 13 Songs (at least my euro-edition) and 50 Minutes. I wonder why they focus on songwriting now, although jim o rourke left the band, and keep the effects and the power guitar tracks almost the entire album away. This album sounds like a new sonic youth, the murray street chapter has closed and this great band starts with a new beginn.

Well after 4 times listening, Rather Ripped has 4 excellent stand out tracks, which may qualify as a sonic youth classic: Rapture, Lights out, Pink steam and or. Most of the songs, sometimes sound like a filler to me, i cant keep them in my head, or i dont know why they appear on the album. They are entertaining to listen, but its not the sonic youth classic feeling.

On the other hand rather ripped is a great album, compared to the experimental albums from the end 90s. So in the list of my favorite albums, it will be probably number 9 or so. Not a classic, but a straight good album, an ok sonic youth album, and definitly one of the five hottest records this year.
tazerfloyd is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|