View Single Post
Old 05.17.2012, 06:09 AM   #1364
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
@el Symbols

Of course there's a certain level of local subjectivity to a group of English guys praising the final game of the English Premier League. I don't think any of us are blind to that league's shortcomings, though: over-reliant on massive foreign investment; not the best when it comes to the quality of football on offer; and so on. I also don't doubt that other country's have equivalent passions and obsessions for their top league. As such, I'd never call the Prem the 'greatest' league in the world, primarily because (as I mentioned in a previous post) I've not seen every league in the world and, besides, I don't even know what 'great' necessarily means in terms of football (beyond maybe winning everything, and even that'd depend on the quality of opposition). So I much prefer to think of the Man City v QPR game as a good example of how intense football in general, can be, rather than as some kind of showcase for the Premier league exclusively. For me, the games I most enjoy aren't necessarily the ones with the best football but that have a sense of epic and often controversial drama. My favourite game from the last World Cup was the quarter final between Uruguay and Ghana (the one when Suarez handled the ball to save Uruguay, who then went on to knock Ghana out on penalties). It wasn't the best in terms of quality and was utterly unjust in terms of sporting ethics, but absolutely involving as drama. And I don't for a second doubt that similar things happen in the Bundesliga or the Dutch Eredivise or the French Ligue 1. But because I can't afford the necessary tv package, I just never get to see those games. I'd still say the Prem was a more exciting league than either Serie A or La Liga but that's as far as it goes for me.

The MLS fascinates me. From the little I've seen, the football is pretty poor but what interests me most is its ongoing struggle to make any kind of domestic impact. So it's the backstory that fascinates me there, far more than what goes on on the pitch.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|