Thread: uk vs. us punk?
View Single Post
Old 04.25.2011, 07:15 PM   #71
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rick
U.S.A! U.S.A.!

A continuum...

The Wailers
The Sonics
The Fugs
Debris'
The Electric Eels
Crime
Chrome
The Pagans
Nervous Eaters
Vom
Screamers
The Wipers
Black Flag
Minutemen
Really Red
The Freeze
Flipper
Poison Idea
Septic Death
Dead Moon
The Mummies
Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments
The Motards
The A Frames
The Hospitals
The Intelligence
Functional Blackouts
Home Blitz

The U.K. had some great bands, but the canonization of certain bands and the patriotism of their myopic music journalists make for a glut of overrateds and cashers-in on the seemingly never-ending gravy train. I mean, seriously, how undeserving are The Exploited to be careerists in the punk biz??? (Meanwhile, the best U.K. punk goes largely ignored; e.g. Fuck Off Records, descendents of Desperate Bicycles, etc.)

I actually like Aussie punk better overall than U.K. punk.

half of these are hardcore or just plain "alternative/college rock" so I do believe they are null and void in a debate regarding UK vs US punk

I will put my list

Agnostic Front vs UK SUBS (US wins)
Aus Rotten vs SubhumanS (UK wins)
Caustic Christ vs The Varukers (UK wins)
DEFIANCE vs the Defiant (US wins)
Bad Brains vs CRASS (US wins)
A Global Threat vs the Exploited (US wins)

while I adore UK crust/gutter/chaos/hardcore/street punk, the US really does have the edge, especially from scenes like in Boston/Pittsburg/DC/NYC/LA

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|