View Single Post
Old 04.05.2006, 05:47 AM   #11
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I like this subject - first of all, there's hundreds of surf-punk bands out there, it just happens that Man or Astroman? are among the best.

Second, it's very difficult for bands to explore some genres - I don't think a lot of Sonic Youth's ideas should remain entirely in their control, and there's a few bands who take a few of their ideas and run with them sucessfully (early Blonde Redhead, ...Trail of dead, etc) but I don't think ideas like those on DDN have quite been explored enough to constitute a genre, where they really could and probably should.

The other problem I can think of is that some genres run themselves out so quickly that it's quite right they should disappear - I think a lot of lower-case improv is getting really stale now... Taku Sugimoto & Radu Malfatti have disappeared into a conceptual cul-de-sac; Nmperign are still excellent... Berhard Gunther has done some exquisitely beautiful things, but generally I think the genre's pretty much a dead-end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|