View Single Post
Old 06.16.2006, 08:58 AM   #1
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
If at all? With Daydream Nation, Dirty, Goo and to a lesser extent, Sister; they were functioning with their veins sliced into the major arteries of popular culture, if they were not actually the heart of it themselves; but with Murray Street onwards, it seems they have somewhat had less of a connection or impact on popular culture as a whole. Not discounting their hipness or ability to make meaningful, significant music, of course.

It seems almost as though they are not very popular within the context of popular culture now, which may or may not be very true(they were never Guns 'N' Roses popular anyway), but there was a time when their output was quite culturally significant, being the nexus of popular music and an exemplification of sorts of the music that popular bands were emulating on their own records.

This time has of course passed, but with a resurgence of sorts in alternative rock and bands like Bloc Party namechecking Sonic Youth(being a not so recent example), I wonder if Sonic Youth have any relevance on popular culture anymore... I believe popular culture has reached a sort of plateau at the moment, with bands like Fall Out Boy and stars like Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera still dominating sales and cultural mindsets(not to mention Paris Hilton releasing an album).

This culturally shallow exposition is a dreary situation at best and I wonder in such a plasticky, non-toxic and bland climate, if Sonic Youth are still vital or exert any sort of influence. Thoughts, anyone?