View Single Post
Old 12.02.2016, 03:15 PM   #20160
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Event Horizon

Seems to take an age to get going and the climax never quite lives up to the build up, but still a very solid piece of Lovecraftian sf, helped immeasurably by the apparantly-can-do-no-wrong Sam Neill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

A Doctor Who movie, in theatres, with a deserving writer and director, the right cast, and enough of a foundation in Who mythology and series nostalgia would probably give me a brain aneurysm. Of awesomeness.

That would be a dream come true and, without going over old ground, I'm half surprised Christopher Nolan hasn't thought about doing something. Unfortunately a large chunk of its current fanbase would insist on something more light-hearted/campier/knowing. It'd be great to see a film with the guts to just play it completely straight. And make the Dr unfashionably old. Michael Caine would be an obvious choice if Nolan did it, but I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Morgan Freeman have a go.

I think early DW's strength was that it got some really credible sf writers on board, so the sheer strength of the stories always eclipsed the shoddy production values.

Have you seen Quatermass & the Pit? It was written by Nigel Kneale who did some great DW stories. It's probably the best DW film without actually being part of the series.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|