View Single Post
Old 05.22.2014, 09:28 AM   #679
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Just the 1980s? I can't think of s single mainstream, popular, black fronted rock band of the 2000s, period. And only a handful from the 1990s. Its insane how when guitar oriented music from 1920s-1950s was dominated by genius black guitarists and song writers, that since the 1980s Prince, Lenny Kravitz, and HR are about it. Honorable mention to Fishbone but I'm from LA where there from, so they may not have actually had as much reach or influence as they did here where they're a household name from anybody from the 1990s..

There were a few. Fishbone, Living Color, 24/7 Spyz (poor man's fishbone)

There were a few black dudes rockin' in other bands too.

Suicidal Tendencies (Rocky George), Kings X (Doug Pinnick)

the list of white hip hop acts who made $$ is fairly short too,

Beastie Boys, Eminem are the top tier in terms of quality output I guess. Vanilla Ice was a joke. Marky mark & The Funky Bunch were a joke. 3rd Bass were an odd thing, and MC Serch's solo stuff never caught on.

I just wish more people listened to a wider variety of stuff, which would help create a wider range of sounds.

Chuck D once said the more you know the more you can rap about. The same goes for music I think.