View Single Post
Old 02.05.2008, 06:51 PM   #30
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Nation were interesting enough but I wasn't always excited to listen to their "I-hate-everything" swagger...

I like bullet points.

1) Whatever follows is by no means the opinions of someone who's ever enjoyed hardcore. NOU are one of my favourite bands, and I can just about stomach Refused but the vast majority of it, at best, leaves me bemused.

2) NOU had a very arch humour. I always liked to imagine that lines like "who's got the real/ anti-parent culture sound?" were rhetorical and parodical - that is to say the alleged 'I hate everything' swagger was undermining the narrative of punk music's 'nihilism'

3) NOU's sleeves have more contradictory ideas than a million bands. It wasn't rhetoric in the sense of 'I know some words - if I write them, people understand me'. They understood writing as a device for persuasion and confusion - destabalising the 'truth' notion of 'pure' music - to me they're one of the few 'hardcore' bands who introduce an intelligence that is, lamentably, absent a lot of the time. I'm not saying this is true of every hardcore band - it's more often boorish and puritanical if it is present though (cf Ian Mackaye).

4) To Mr Neurotic - NOU do sound fake; but something like 'today I met the girl I'm going to marry' is something like a garage/ doo-wop sentiment over a (pseudo-, I suppose) hardcore backing. Ian Svenonius has, in most of his career since, made an outstanding job of undermining and parodying genres without pitying and hating them; a fakeness born of love if you will.

5) Somehow NOU avoid being anything like a 'postmodern' band.

6) These words are my own, and not terrifically important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|