View Single Post
Old 09.01.2017, 04:18 AM   #22
bloodcrystallisetosand
bad moon rising

bloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Sonic Youth to me wasn't just getting into a new band, it almost felt like getting into a new genre. Or learning a new language.

Yeah, this was it for me. Everything always comes back to SY for me. Grew up listening to, as was the fashion at the time, whatever Britpop type stuff was on the radio, plus older, mostly British rock via parents, got into grunge/pop punk/'mainstream alternative' at 14ish and had my head completely cracked open by SY at 16. I probably have 3 or 4 proper, hardcore, can't-possibly-listen-to-anything-else-for-a-fortnight sessions on them a year these days, but there was a very long period of time when I played them at least every other day. First album was Sister, first album I got on release was Nurse.

I still see them as a genre unto themselves really. Have naturally ventured into no wave/Branca/etc, as well as other atonal stuff, guitar based or composed, and all the other many, many threads to pull from digging into the band, but no one else has quite the same combination of texture, melody and groove. The fact that there are 18 (I think...) albums proper, plus yer SYRs and archival bits and EPs and unlimited bootlegged skronk wig out alternate versions and demos and covers and on and on, not to mention the side/now-current projects of Thurston, Lee and Kim, and you've got a body of work at least as substantial as some entire scenes.

Hello to OP as well! Nice to see a little bit of good old fashioned sonik love on the board, makes me all misty-eyed and nostalgic.
bloodcrystallisetosand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|