View Single Post
Old 03.02.2017, 11:30 AM   #275
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Also, I think Timbaland qualifies, for sure. Yeah, he may produce a lot of pop and R&B, but so has Kanye, and so has Dilla!!! Also, it's worth mentioning that Timbaland helped bridge the gap between rap and R&B by bringing a hard, weird, uncompromising aesthetic to his R&B productions in the '90s.

Look at "Supa Dupa Fly" ... Missy may be more of a borderline R&B/pop artist than a straight rapper, but that song was fucking insane, and definitely more rap than R&B. It wouldn't have been shit without Timba.

And listening to "Are You That Somebody?" even today is a revelation. I didn't even know I liked R&B (beyond Badu and Fugees and shit) when I heard that. The production is totally whacked and fucking weird, and it goes hard as hell, but it came out in 1998... the year of Britney Spears! When R&B was supposed to mean "lightweight bullshit." It certainly was not lightweight bullshit. It's a fucking masterpiece.

Timba needs to be on the list. Maybe not in the top right or four, but certainly SOMEWHERE.
Yeah he also did "Big Pimpin".

His peak was with Aaliyah/Missy and then he found JT/Nelly Furtado in the 2000's and made more classics with them.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|