View Single Post
Old 02.27.2008, 06:24 PM   #28
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
i'm not surprised in the least bit, but i'm surprised you posted it in the non sonics section. did you smoke some cheeba before you posted this thread and put it in the wrong section?

actually no, it is a fastday in the Orthodox church so no smoking for me until at least sundown... but give me some credit, it may have not been in the non-sonic sounds section, but technically it is accurately in the non-sonics section...

"
Fasting

Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Christians do not eat meat and diary products (i.e. egg, butter, milk, and cheese) on fasting days. According to the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church belief, the faithful must abstain from eating meat and diary products to attain forgiveness of sins committed during the year, and undergo a rigorous schedule of prayers and atonement. However, the sick, travellers and the weak may be exempt from or reduce the fasting periods but if they want to observe the fasting, they can fast the whole or part of the fasting periods. As for those who observe the fasting periods, they will continue to do this through out their life or as long as they are able to do without restrictions.
Church services are held daily in all Orthodox Tewahedo Churches from morning to 3 PM (9 o'clock in the afternoon Ethiopian time). Only one meal is allowed during the fasting days and the fist meal is taken after 3 PM (9 o'clock in the afternoon Ethiopian time), except Saturdays and Sundays, where a meal is allowed after the morning service.
The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Christian fasting periods are:
  • all Wednesdays and Fridays except the 50 days between Easter and Pentecost.
  • Tsome Neviyat (the fast of the Prophets known as Advent): 43 days fasting before Christmas which starts from 15 November to 28 December Ethiopian Calendar.
  • Tsome Gahad (The Vigils): one day fasting which takes place on Christmas eve i.e. 28 December Ethiopian calendar and the day preceeding before Epiphany i.e. 10 January Ethiopian Calendar.
  • Tsome Nenewe (the fast of Nineveh): 3 days fasting which starts on the Monday proceeding before Abye Tsome (Lent).
  • Abye Tsome or Hudade (Lent): 55 days Fasting before Easter which is divided in to the following three categories:
    • Tsome Hirkan: 8 days fasting which starts 8 days proceeding before Tsome Arba.
    • Tsome Arba: 40 days fasting which starts immediately after Tsome Hirkan up to Palm Sunday.
    • Tsome Himamat: 7 days fasting which starts on the Monday after Palm Sunday until Easter
  • Tsome Hawaryat (the fast of the Apostles): begins on the day following Pentecost until 5 July Ethiopian calendar.
  • Tsome Filseta (the fast of the Holy Virgin Mary): 15 days fasting which takes place from 1 - 15 August Ethiopian calendar.
Vegetarian meals such as lentils, ground split peas, grains, fruit, varieties of vegetable stew accompanied by injera and/or bread are only eaten during fasting days. Meat and diary products are only eaten on feasting days i.e. Christmas, Epiphany, Easter and at all other times. Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Christians, Jews and Muslims do not eat pork

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|