View Single Post
Old 04.21.2022, 01:31 PM   #25148
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I understand what you’re saying, actually, even though I can’t entirely relate to it.

yeah, why would you. everyone has their concerns. im not looking for a shoulder--i'm just protesting so i can keep breathing. viva la rebelión.

but i do appreciate an ear, and your perspectives, and that they're different from mine. agreement is for pussies, hahah.

Quote:
Comic-book culture took an upward turn in both quality and popularity in the mid- to late ‘80s, too. A lot of the movies we’re seeing originated with ‘80s stories, or benefitted from big ‘80s works (Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, Gaiman’s amazing Sandman, etc.) so we probably ultimately have the gen-xers who bought and read those boomer-written comics to thank for the deluge of comic book and childish bullshit cinema.

yeah, it's the genexers that did it to you like the boomers did it to us.

boomers (and older) filled our minds with sex and secret agent exploits and deep sea diving and the cold war, we filled yours with toys and superpowers. goddamn.

anyway here 3 reasons why i can't relate to comic book culture of the 80s:

first one is when i was a kid i was reading grownup books.

second is my location had no access to those comics. but even if i could have found them, i was too far gone by then.

third is my location was conflicted and highly politicized so we couldn't stay children forever. imagine belfast during the troubles lol (it wasnt belfast but you get the idea). you had to snap out of lalaland quick.

so when i tried reading watchmen as a grownup all i could see was an imitation of borges with a much inferior premise--a world of superheroes, blech. and again i started reading borges when i was like... 12? so as i said, too far gone already. i didnt care for a postmodern critique of golden age comics because i already thought golden age comics were stupid and their morality hugely flawed. and watchmen was better than those, but still... groan.

sandman is a different story though. sandman deals in mythology. i still like greek mythology, and the greek epics, so this fits, right into that. it's the basis of western literature after all. and sandman is complex, is nuanced, is subtle.... sandman is literature, with pictures. watchmen is maybe... teen/young adult? a much poorer mythology than sandman. sandman has depth! in sandman the gaze gets lost in the horizon because sandman had the intelligence to plant his roots in a sophisticated mythological world. so you don't know where he ends and old myth begins. and that world is infinite, and old. that was his genius.

Quote:
My generation did take things further though.

right. you didn't have raquel welch on tv

i saw her when i was like 5 and wow i wanted to be a grownup fast hahahhahaaa

and then there were the bond girls....!

wait... didnt your batman feature kim basinger? fuckit, i'd wear a cape for her hahahaaa. kim basinger in the 80s, oh lord...

Quote:
Anyway, I’m picking up what you’re putting down, my friend. Interesting perspective, too. I’ve heard my dad (who likes to fancy himself a Gen-Xer in spirit though he is 100% a fucking boomer, make no mistake), and my elder cousins (true Gen-Xers, I guess) lament the same things you’ve outlined here. And none of them get the MCU really. Hah.

alright cousin! yeah i will never "get" the mcu as any sort of serious business. for explosions, sure. and scarlett was much better in "match point" and "vicky cristina barcelona."

anyway if you wanna see a boomer pretending to be a genexer... californication was the show for that. total boomer character, lol, written in the wrong age bracket, namedropping nirvana as if.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|