View Single Post
Old 12.26.2020, 04:28 PM   #238
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

At first (and, in retrospect, almost incredibly) Lester Bangs didn't quite enjoy Fun House as much The Stooges, was one of the many critics who thought Exile On Main St was a murky mess (in the bad way ), and just plained hated On The Corner (called it "garbage"). Not long after those three initial reactions, he wrote the definitive pieces on those albums that hailed them as masterworks — and NOT because of audience or peer pressure; with the exception of a few reviewers, those records were still years away from being introduced to the commonly accepted rock/jazz/funk pantheon. He did it because he reconsidered them.

It's nearly impossible to imagine a figure like Bangs in our age, but one has to wonder whether he would have made such 180-degree turns had he just initially Spotifucked the albums and moved on with a damn click.

I cannot tell you how many albums I have "disliked" upon initial spins, only to love later. It takes me 5 spins to form a coherent opinion about most albums.

I hate to admit that I disliked Automatic For The People on spin 1, and I put it aside for months.

I know, right? WTF was wrong with me?