View Single Post
Old 03.17.2011, 01:59 PM   #147
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
I've never been a big anime fan, but I do enjoy this show a great deal. I like Cowboy Bebop, and I like Akira. I'd also like to discover more anime that I'd actually enjoy. I'm in the mood for something entirely new to me - and anime fits the bill perfectly. Hmm.

All you need, animewise, is GHOST IN THE SHELL (first one), FLCL, DEAD LEAVES (the most insane anime ever made), NEON GENESIS EVANGELION (the greatest show of all time), and PARANOIA AGENT. Those are really the 3 best things ever invented. I like BEBOP, in fact I've never met anyone who doesn't. AKIRA is alright. My tastes tend towards the more serious/surreal/dark anime like Eva.. I also love BOOGIEPOP PHANTOM and SERIAL EXPERIMENTS LAIN. MINDGAME is a great film to check out too, as is CAT SOUP.. which are more surreal and dark than any of.. uh.. Lynch's stuff or something. Anyway, you say you've never been a big fan -- what have you watched? There's plenty of lame SAILOR MOON and INUYAYASHA and all that stuff but I'd say my reccomenations are pretty much ones that everyone can get into, even people not regularly into the genre.. One show I LOVE that doesn't have much fans is SUPER MILK CHAN. It's just genius. There are like 13 episodes, and each episode is basically about nothing. Nothing happens. Well, about 15 things happen in each episode. The same exact 15 things. But there are different ways the characters get to each thing. It's hard to explain, but that's what makes the show so fun and inventive. Like.. imagine every episode of, oh, SEINFELD had Seinfeld going "HELLLLLLLLLLO", Kramer running into the door, and all that stuff. But imagine each thing was really really elaborate and to get to, like, HELLOOOOOOOOO, some crazy-ass event had to take place for Seinfeld to say it. It's hard to explain, and it goes far beyond mere catchphrase, it's like every episode is a remake of the previous episode, or like a reoccurring dream with slight, odd variations, yet it somehow isn't repetetive, it's downright brilliant... GUREN LAGAN and the insane EXCEL SAGA are worth a look as well. I just got into this great show called PANTY AND STOCKING WITH GARTERBELT that's pretty cool. I love a lot of anime... not the cutesy bullshit, but the pure psychological mindfucks with brilliant animation... I'd say the worst anime I've ever seen is probably the X movie, unless you just really like 20 shots repeated of a girl being crucified and stabbed with a sword for no reason whatsoever.

anyway...

I've been watching TATAMI GALAXY which is fucking awesome, it's by the MINDWARP guy..

This show is fuckign incredible. Artistic, experimental, a work of genius. Basically, the show is about a protagonist (no name) going through a seemingly endless journey through 5 tatami rooms which make up his existence, each one a little different, as evidence of fucked-up alternate lives lived by him. It's these subtle differences that allow him to build up a picture, not just of his own lives, but also those of his friends and others around him. This leads us to perhaps one of the most important and shocking soundbites of any anime ever... the idea that looking at any individual from a single angle can only ever give a very two-dimensional view of that person; it takes multiple viewpoints to build up anything close to a realistic, three-dimensional understanding of another person, something which the creator has a unique opportunity to do via the Hell he is trapped in... it's self-referential as hell, you see.

If you want a show that is a mindfuc, check it out. What a beautiful show. Meaningful, thought-provoking, perceptive, beautiful, artistic, creative, and simply amazing... It is one of the greatest anime ever, and I have no qualms saying that.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|