View Single Post
Old 08.01.2010, 12:01 PM   #96
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
dude.. I ain't trying to convert or preach to anyone here, just trying to discuss the Virgin and all Her aspects, either religious, artistic or cultural. You and me BOTH know well that Mexicans sincerely love, honor and cherish the Virgin, for a million and one deeply personal reasons, and it is not simply the result of Spanish cultural domination, or of the upper class creoles.. Nobody is more bravely individual then poor, rural Mexicans, and if they didn't see a personal reason to support Our Lady, surely they would have threw Her in the garbage with the burnt tortillas (at least that's what my Mexican grandmas taught me )..

THIS IS ALL I WAS TRYING TO SAY!

rght, right, but the virgen de guadalupe is originally tonantzin

except that now she's a "virgin" coopted by the pope

THAT'S ALL I WAS TRYING TO SAY! (ha ha)

hence, this whole virgin thing remain "a pack of lies"-- steal a native deity dress her up as a mediterranean one & fool the indians (you read divino narciso yet? do-- very enlightening)

however, sure, la virgen de guadalupe better reflects the hybrid native/spanish culture than would tonantzin herself OR some european virgin (this sounds weird-- but there was a pink virgin before they painted her skin brown). in that sense the mixed-blood goddess is both culturally appropriate and the product of violent conquest. the daughter of tonantzin raped by the missionaries. but it fits. gods are invented by humans.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|