View Single Post
Old 05.26.2015, 12:30 PM   #46727
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I think you took what I said too literally. I said the '70s and '90s were the most boring decades for music, but I didn't mean that nothing good came out of those years. When I said that I was referring to the pop culture mainstream of those decades. For ever Transformer, Unknown Pleasures, Station to Station, Low, Exile on Mainstreet, American Beauty, Lola Vs. Powerman & The Moneygoround etc. (all incredible albums) there were a hundred Gordon Lightfoots and Billy Joels and Grease soundtracks... I love tons of '70s music. Television, Blondie, Talking Heads, Can... (gotta stop because I will just keep going), but I personally think that the bad music of that decade was Exceptionally bad, and that a lot of that really bad music was also really popular.

Same with the '90s. Sounds like heresy, I'm sure. But again, most of the great music that came out in the '90s is not included on the "Now That's What's I Call Music: 90's Edition!!" compilations, or the "I love the '90s" VH1 specials. For a lot of people, the '90s were about Matchbox Twenty and "Breakdast at Tiffany's" and... God... Collective Soul.. The Friends soundtrack... Britney's first album. Naughty by Nature, Puff Daddy, Oasis and ... I don't know... Fucking Our Lady Peace and Vertical Horizon.

So many of my favorite bands released most of their material in the '90s. I love more music from that decade than probably any other, but I also really hate more music from that decade than from any other.

So don't think I hate the 70s. I just hate so many of the big pop culture bullet points of that decade. I'm not a fan of disco or singer-songwritery solo acoustic light pop, but I do love Maggot Brain and Boys Don't Cry and Taking Tiger Mountain (by strategy)

And as bored as I might be by most of Led Zeppelin's work, I still fucking love "Immigrant Song" and several others. And I certainly don't dislike people because they like Led Zeppelin.
Well, I have to disagree again. I think even the bad music of 70`s is better than the bad music of 2000`s. If I have to choose, I listen Boney M. or Baccara instead of those all terrible, clean, all same sounding hits of 2000. Yes, I know there isnīt a decade whenīs not made any badmusic, but I really think the most boring music is made in the 2000`s.

Well 90`s...yes there were also some really bad stuff (one hit thatīs sung Einszweipolizei came to my mind) but I think 90`s were better than 80`s, at least sounds were better. There were quite a lots of stuff that I think are respected (for example Oasis, Manic Street Preachers, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins) that I didnīt get into at all. But still I think even 90`s & 80`s were better than 2000 (some of my real favourite albums are made in 90 for example Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Pj Harvey & of course Sonic Youth).

And still the main point is that I think you got the wrong picture of seventies. You seem to forgot that Rolling Stones, Bowie & the Kinks were mainstream music in the seventies. And I can continue almost endless: Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, The Who, Zeppelin, Santana, Hawkwind, Purple, ZZ Top, Skynyrd, Free, Mike Oldfield, Allman Brothers Band, Canned Heat, Kate Bush, Black Sabbath, the Band, the Faces, Funkadelic, Sly And the Family Stone, Marc Bolan, Marvin Gaye...and so many 76-77punkers & postpunkers.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|