View Single Post
Old 01.02.2016, 09:16 PM   #19131
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
Seen several weeks earlier:

Gone girl - 4/10

First time I don't enjoy a David Fincher film.

Full of plot inconsistencies. The first 45 minutes are soporific, the acting is just OK and the ending pretty terrible.

I think it's definitely his schlockiest film in a long while. Played out a bit like a David Lynch directed soap opera. But I'm one of the few people who didn't go nuts for the source material. It was "meh" as far as I'm concerned.

I just thought the film was enjoyable to watch. You're right, the performances were tepid (the female cop was probably the highlight of the movie, forget her name), and the story was only good while the suspense lasted. The soundtrack added to that a lot.

I do like a David Fincher movie. But compared to Fight Club, which suited his style perfectly, or Benjamin Button, which was - oddly - one of the more emotionally poignant big budget films of the 00's, Gone Girl was just so-so. Still fun to watch things unravel, though. He definitely took a page from the Blue Velvet book of melodrama for this one, and I don't think enough people picked up on that. But whatever. Critically it was a flop compared to his last several films, most of which received butt-loads of Oscar nominations and became pop culture events.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|