View Single Post
Old 11.21.2010, 01:48 PM   #10
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
Ive been PMed because of the postings I made in this thread. I wont tell the users name but will use the pseudonym "USERXXX" instead, the conversation is just nuts.
Judge for yourself...
If somebody can explain to me what in the world I did wrong I promise Ill never do it again, no matter what.
and if you agree with me I beg you to never give away your precious money to this kind of "MASTERing Engineers".

USERXXX
no offense, but you seem like you are talking out of your ass when it comes to audio. Parallel compression is an outdated technique, a relic from the analog past. And when would a mastering engineer ever use MS? Rarely if ever.

shabbray2.0
Sorry
mister know it all,
I think he uses it when there is need to do it.
the technique exists so why not to do it when there is a mono/stereo/phasing problem?!
Read the Book from Bob Katz and he clearly explains when and how to use it. and it does indeed makes sense.

Also I never said that they use it all the time, just that its a technique which is more likely used at the mastering and not the mixing stage. to clear those borders.

really dont know where your problem is.
its a topic that interests me and I am going to talk out of my ass as much as I wish.
if you think I am wrong, post it, its a forum, its for discussions not only for saying shit about others.
I am happy if I can learn more and if someone can point on something said wrong, so I can clarify it or in the best case I can learn from him/her

USERXXX
sorry, I just don't think you know what you are talking about.

Shabbray2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
Parallel compression will be a good start to getting the right sound. I would do it on drums, bass and vocals. Also i would set a ducker to slightly duck the bass when the kick hits (depending on how much you are using kick, if there is alot of kick drum then don't do this).

So parallel compression: On drums, you want to make two mix busses to send the drums too. On one of the mix busses place a compressor on at 6:1 ration or a little harder and set your threshold quite early like -40db or so. you really want to squash the fuck out of this first buss so the lightest of hits or taps will be heard and the loudest really squeezed. On the second buss just add a fairly light compression to catch any ugly transients, maybe 3 or 4:1 ratio and threshold around -3db or so. Send to both of the busses from the drum channels prefade as well. Then we want to mix the clean and the two compressed bussed till it sounds like you want. This if you do it properly will give the drums great punch and the lightest of dynamic playing will be heard. You can then do this on the bass and vocals too, even guitars if you want. I usually only do the drums and vocals when i'm doing this for live mixes but recording I do a fair bit of it.

Make sure auot plugin compensation is on otherwise you will get phasing etc and the signal will be slighty delayed.

As far as recorders, is it to be portable?

Quote End

I dont know in which audio world you are living, but parallel compression may be invented by motown and widely used on their vocals, but today its used on drums more then everything. same technique, different playfield.

so much bout talking out of MY ass.

USERXXX:
really? because people mainly use plug-ins in computers to mix these days. what you are talking about can be achieved by inserting a single plug in. No need for dual or parallel channels.

You are talking out of your ass sir. I have a degree in audio engineering.

Shabbray2.0
I think thermal pharmacy is some kind of audio engineer too. but he doesnt ignore doing things manually instead of an a plug in. this way somebody can already learn what hes doing instead of downloading another shitty plugin to make things even worse.
everything can be done with a plug in. go write yourself a plug in which stops you from being such an arrogant prick. no wait thats impossible, I think.

your degree up my talking ass.
I almost got a degree too, but i am not walking around telling everybody that hes more stupid then I am because he got none.

USERXXX:
Parallel Compression was a fad in NYC studios of the 80's. You are talking about it on a SY forum as if you have experience when it is clear you do not. Who is the prick?

Shabbray2.0
I have the experience in doing it by myself multiple times.
like I said its EASY. its doable in Garageband!
or do you think its just possible if you got a degree?
How the fuck are you thinking ive never did it?
you are living on a cloud, really.

USERXXX:
I'll let the signed band I was working with from my last project know. You can go back to giving idiotic advice.

Shabbray2.0:
hahaha thats the most arrogant thing you ever said. go wanking bout your degree and your signed band, hahaha.
you are the prototype of the holy mastering prick who likes to behave like its one of the last magic artforms...which its not.

Shabbray2.0:
to be honest. I really dont know what I said is wrong?
you cant say that a technique like PC is obsolete, thats just wrong. thousands of artists using it. at least the french electronic scene does it, like Mr oizo, Justice, Daft Punk etc. This and Sidechaining are two echniques what makes their sound so distinct.

And MS Mastering does exist, nothing wrong with that.
I never said thats its the first thing an engineer does, I just said that its a thing where you have to know what you are doing, otherwise it can ruin everything. dont matter if you do it manually or via a plug in.

I never said mastering engineer s are useless, they are that usefull because they exactly know what they are doing, if I scratched your degree ego this way...it wasnt my intend.
I dont wanted to upset someone or come over like a know it all.
but I dont know whats bothering you with what I said, except that you just got the feeling I dont know what I am talking about...
if thats all you have to say I dont know what to reply.

USERXXX:
Talking about a rarely used professional mastering technique when trying to help a beginner master their own shit at home = don't know what the hell you are talking about

Shabbray2.0:
maybe you dont know who genteel death is, but hes is far from a beginner. and I am sure he knows what I mean

USERXXX:
Nice aversion from yourself. Who else do you want to talk about?

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|