View Single Post
Old 04.25.2015, 06:05 PM   #46508
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Honestly, Liars have been kind of a disappointment to me overall. After their first record I thought they were the next Fugazi. I expected epic brilliance from them. The second one, They Were Wrong So We Drowned, never left much of an impression on me. Then Drums Not Dead - holy lord - one of the best albums of the century this far. And Sisterlan and self-titled both satisfied deeply, even if they lacked the absolutely godlike brilliance of DND.

Then WIXIW... I was really excited, and at first I thought it was pretty brilliant, but now it just doesn't hold up at all. It was too forcefully artsy, without much purpose or direction. It didn't sound like a bunch of Norse gods playing a basement show with perfect restraint to avoid deafening their audience, like DND.

Then Mess came out, and I bought it and gave it a positive write-up out of loyalty to the band, but that may be the most aptly named album in the history of the world. It was just a goddamn mess.

You should check out the new album by Doldrums, the Air Conditioned Nightmare. It's pretty Liarsy at moments, but it feels more solid than anything they've done recently.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|