View Single Post
Old 10.10.2016, 12:59 PM   #1105
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i disagree with this, especially in the TV age. debates used to be reproduced in the newspaper in the XIX century, nowadays we can see for ourselves.

see what? What did we see last night or last week that we haven't seen already, what did we learn that we didn't already know? Last night by every single definition of was a complete and dismal waste of time.

Quote:
out the candidates the same way that those who work with them do-- in "person".

Again we have plenty of other opportunities for that. These debates are just a publicity stunt. Its what they ALWAYS have been across American history, they just are less necessary than ever now that we have so much other access to information, video, and other feedback from the candidates.

Quote:
sure, it's staged, but you can still glean a lot from visual information. how do they operate under pressure?
If its not real and inconsequential then what pressure is there exactly?

Quote:

and then there's body language which is how we transmit 90% of what we say in real life.
Its not that you're wrong its that we have so much other access to video of the candidates, so the debates tell us NOTHING new at all. What did we learn last night that we didn't already know? What did we learn about Mitt Romney or Obama that we didn't already know in 2012? What did we learn about John McCain or Obama that we didn't already know in 2008? What did we learn about Bush II or John Kerry that we didn't already know in 2004? What did we learn about Gore or Bush II in 2000 that we didn't already know??

Look I get it, you really like politics, but I also know you are smart enough to totally understand what I am saying here.

19th century politics is and will continue to be an anachronism in the 21st century. We don't need these events to get the press copy, and reading the news today reminds us all the more of just how antiquated this approach is! The newspapers and sites are just rehashing a bunch of dribble from last night. Now in 1876 we needed this information because there was little access otherwise, now? its a 24/7 newscycle with market saturation we don't need mindless political theater simply because its tradition

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|