View Single Post
Old 11.16.2011, 08:29 AM   #21
kenning
little trouble girl

kenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asses
She never claimed to be a musician, though she is half of a tight and interesting rhythm section. Listen to the break in "Kool Thing," e.g. Without a solid singing voice (some people just don't have a capacity for pitch etc), she developed a unique vocal style that suits the band and "her" songs perfectly. Some people don't care for it, but I think it is incredibly powerful. Her feminist ideals aren't clear to me. She negotiates feminism on multiple levels, in multiple ways. Her lyrics are often empowering, even for the fellas (like me). I think if you find them shallow and vapid, you are projecting your notion of what they are. She doesn't have a stance so much as a voice...if that makes sense. And that has a vast, deep, and substantial appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Not starting a flame war or trying to be a dick but I'm just interested exactly what the reasons for her fanbase was.

I mean, in my opinion, she is the weakest musician in the band, her art has no complexity and her feminist ideals seem shallow and vapid. So what is it about her?
kenning is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|