Thread: whatcha doin?
View Single Post
Old 10.18.2009, 04:03 PM   #818
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Watching The Misfits. I love this movie for so many reasons: Marilyn Monroe, Montgomery Clift , Clark Gable. Written by Arthur Miller. What a gem!

Since first seeing this in the 1970s, I've spent some time thinking about its point. I mean, it's obviously a modern cowboy movie. BUt for Arthur Miller, cowboys are metaphors. The cowboys of thsi movie, and of the time, circa 50s?, belong to a vanished age, and so represent people left behind by progress. Their absurd fear of earning "wages", of being trapped, is an illusion. Their past histories are quicksand, dogging any attempt at progress. You see this again when the Marilyn character is breaking down during the mustang hunt, mustangs vs. the automobile and the airplane, the natural vs. the machine-made modern world.

This movie to me is poetry in black and white.