View Single Post
Old 05.09.2016, 08:49 PM   #40
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I've been buying Radiohead albums as soon as they come out, and digesting them with equal parts uncertainty and awe since 1995. I can't really understand the general lack of appreciation for Hail to the Thief, but I know what it's like to be in that, "God fucking dammit, another album I'm supposed to think is brilliant for some reason" state of mind.

I think the press is to blame for the over-saturation of Ok Computer. It's almost as if the world failed to notice that REM made the same basic statement with New Adventures in HiFi before OKC was even a thing. I think very little of that album stands the test of time, but that's got a lot to do with everyone insisting that it's "perfect" (it isn't). Yet "Paranoid Android," "Airbag," and possibly most notably "Karma Police" all really do hold up.

Kid a was hyped to high heaven too, and its legacy has suffered because of that hype. Best album of the 2000's? No goddamn way. But it's the bits that don't get a lot of attention that make it special for me... the ambient bits, the jazzy drums on the title track, the horns and other strange arrangements. It's a good album.

Amnesiac was flawed.

Hail to he Thief should have been given the OKC treatment. How can you argue with "Myxomatosis?"

Anyway, I am still processing the new one but it's got a lot of pleasant and likeable stuff on it. Not sure if I prefer it to TKOL from the basement, but I'm only just starting to get the hang of it.

I'm pleased, I'll tell you that. I am happy with this release. New Radiohead and Pj Harvey in the same year is pretty awesome.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|