View Single Post
Old 04.08.2006, 01:35 AM   #24
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
That's a nice poem.

I've thought a lot about these issues and I think I know (as much as a white person can) the situation for black folks and I know how language and its acquistion works. I want (as much as anyone can) equality and a fair shot for everyone, but changing tests around or alloying students to write ebonics with no penalty isn't going to do a damn thing about equality. America has no national language and there is no set right or wrong when it comes to grammar or usage or spelling. All there is is what we all agree on and accept and nothing you can do, no amount of sensitivity training is going to change people's attitudes. What we decide is "correct" comes about through just as organic a process as that of language acquisition. Changing tests or adding Ebonics programs at schools is like spraying deodorant on your trash every day instead of taking it out.

I'm as liberal as they come, or at least that's what most people would call me. I guess I'm sort of a philosophical communitarian. But, this kind of wishy-washy crap is what gives liberals or progressives a bad name - makes us look silly. Honestly, all it seems like is some kind of a holier-than-thou preachy hodgepodge.

I'm a pessimist and certainly no activist, but if you really wanted to make a difference for black people, you'd start a revolution and overthrow our fascist president and his staff and practically all of congress, burn them on the stake and start some sort of totalitarian regime to enforce our more "enlightend" viewpoint.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|