View Single Post
Old 12.07.2016, 11:42 AM   #48320
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
you should listen to White Album instead of Red. At least "Do You Wanna Get High?" - think you'd dig it.

There's something really comforting to me about Weezer tho. Like, even when they change or experiment (which they do do... like on Raditude how they worked w/ Lil Wayne and Jermaine Dupri, etc... ), they still sound like Weezer. And that makes me happy. You ever hear their cover of "Brain Stew"? They turn it into a crazy bombastic piano ballad epic thing. It's awesome. It's on a random EP they did for Record Store Day in 2009.

Modest Mouse was one of the weirdest career implosions in history. All those early records... Lonesome Crowded, Long Drive - you could see the evolution to Moon. But then. Then they just turned into what? Radio pap? So strange.

Yeah it was super sad.
I remember seeing them the summer before Good News For People Who Like Bad News came out. There was soenthung different about them, even before Jeremiah Green left. Their show just had a strange vibe to it, and the crowd was massive. They drew in as many people as the Flaming Lips did that night, and the Lips were coming off their most commercially successful album (Yoshimi).

I was with my girlfriend at the time who, like me, had grown up going to MM shows on the west coast, back when they played like a band that actually represented what "emo" was supposed to mean (a combination of melodicism, DIY ethics, hardcore energy and math-rock intricacy, if you ask me.) Even the mellow Long Drive shows tended to just erupt. But on this June day in 2003, something was just plain different.

There was a hint of the old MM in "Bury me with it" that gave us hope and the show wasn't terrible, but it was full of new material that sounded kinda... toothless... compared to what we expected after an album that ended with something as weird and scathing as "What People are Made of." And it was surreal to see SO many people flipping out over a band that was, to me anyway, obviously at career low.

I actually told my gtrlfriend after that I thought Modest Mouse shirts would be available in every Hot Topic within a year. She was like naaaaaw. And that's exactly what happened. But even Good News was better than than what followed... Jesus... and their purported "return" in 2014 or whenever didn't seem to register with anyone, even though the album was a slight improvement over the previous.

I still think Lonf Drive, Fruit That Ate Itsekf, Lonesome Crowded, Building Nothing out of Something, Moon & Antarctica and Everywhere... are all great records. But I like to pretend they broke up somewhere around that fateful '03 show.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|