View Single Post
Old 04.22.2009, 12:17 PM   #10
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I think it's too grey a situation to take a definite stance on. There was provocation on both sides, with some protesters eager to see things escalate into a full-scale riot as well as sections within the police keen to enforce the law in a way that wasn't exactly law-abiding.

What I find particularly saddening is that the violence that ensued inevitably overshadowed any actual point that might have been made by the protesters. As such, the debate becomes one centred on the actions of the police rather than the grievances of the demonstrators. This is far easier for the media to discuss, especially given the fact that I suspect the majority of the public are quietly sympathetic towards the police acting in what has been widely reported as an 'impossible' situation.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Peaceful protests tend to mean that the protesters' actual message never hits the media, while violent protest only means that the message is obscured by subsequent discussions about violence.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|