View Single Post
Old 05.08.2006, 08:41 AM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Depends on the music. With the experimental stuff, I buy it on the strength of reviews, and then listen to it until it makes sense. For instance, I found it quite difficult to get Feldman for a long time, but I knew he was a very important figure in 20th Century Avant-garde, so I listened to it more than I would an album I like, until it 'clicked'.

With stuff that doesn't really fit into 'intellectual' music (although this is a horrible category) I generally download one or two tracks and buy the album if I them. Recently, this happened with Xasthur.

With bands I already have albums by, I buy it without worrying about its quality - The Fall have yet to make an album I can truly say I don't like; SY less so, but I buy their albums any way.

A lot of stuff I just download whole albums in lieu of being able to find a hard copy - until recently this was true of the SY ep, and remains true for a lot of the more obscure stuff (early Nurse With Wound albums etc). I should add that given the option of downloading and owning the album, I always, without fail, opt for the latter.

Realistically, when I have more money, I will definitely spend more time online shopping for the obscurities I convince myself I need, but I far prefer finding them in record stores/ record fairs, and will always buy the Vinyl before the CD, and I hope to never have to buy Mp3's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|