View Single Post
Old 03.09.2007, 03:49 PM   #89
zedius
children of satan

zedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
He appeals to me in a different way than, say, Ravi Shankar or whoeever you want to insert there who has anymore of a different approach to making music-making than Timberlake might have.
Careful when you say that he appeals only to people who like to dance, because you are making a statement without having anything realistic to back it up with. Brian McMahan (of Slint and Forcarnation fame) has always wanted to make an r n b album and Steve Stapleton of Nurse With Wound has made a Hip Hop album.Both genres are carefully packaged to be sold, and both of them are what you would easily call people who give quite the shit about art.

Timberlake doesn't make music. Some producers do, who are so hot rite now, so a record company has a meeting with Timberlake and they decide to go with Timbaland for the single.

I don't think R&B or hip hop are genres inherently packaged to be sold. I don't think the funk brothers or NWA were just trying to sell. I don't think the Roots are, either. They do sell, but they put their heart in it and because of this they sell less than 50 cent. Old motown shit is amazing and inspiring. The four tops is some of the best music I've ever heard. Usher, not so much. As the market opens up and these things become more profitable, quality goes down. It becomes about selling as many units as possible. This is a fact. There are focus groups and machines to listen for promising hit-like qualities. That means the music is homogonized. Trim the fat, figure out what works, what gives us the numbers, sell it.