View Single Post
Old 01.07.2008, 06:32 PM   #34
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Is the 2nd Whitely one a painting of the operahouse in Sydney, or is that just coincidence?

Yes, it's the Sydney Opera house.

I just had a great overwhelming feeling and urge, just then, to go to Sydney again real soon, Newtown inparticular.

Quote:
I did a history of aesthetics course a few years ago. Unfortunately, there was a belligerent NZ feminist who made me hate Antipodean art for a while. She would constantly hark on about how NZ had better (female) artists than Western Europe, and it was a 'conspiracy' against either women or the Antipodes that they weren't better known over here. She bought in a slide show of her favourite NZ artists, and without exception it was whollly derivative of various 20th-Century movements, 30+ years too late. I assume Olsen and Whitely are from Australia, so I'm going to change my mind on Antipodean art.

Yeah they're both Australian artists. There's a Whitely piece in my local gallery called 'Summer at Carcoar'. It's marvellous. I couldn't find a big enough pic on the net that shows the beauty of it in detail though.

I'm glad you guys like them.