View Single Post
Old 02.27.2017, 11:23 AM   #20777
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I've been thinking about Nocturnal Animals since I watched it, so the fact that it lingers says something.

ALSO... this is an very particular thing about me, but I have issues with a very specific kind of violence. The realistic kind that shows people being victims of random attacks, being utterly powerless to stop them. This is the result of some shit I went through many years ago, and also as a kid. As a result, I have a conditioned response to just NOT FUCK WITH this kind of thing. I don't want to spoil anything, but this stuff is present in NoctAn, and I barely made it through the first quarter of the film because of it. So, personal issues are informing my perception of the film, for sure.

Reviews said it was "style over substance," but honestly it made me think, made me wonder, and kept me engrossed, even thoughI maintain that the directorial style was oddly detached, and that characters came across as observations. Maybe that was the point!

Zach Snyder is style over substance. He went to film school and has been coached by some fine fine filmmakers, but even when I enjoy his films, his direction is just shit. Just slow-mo and CGI. Tom Ford is not, from what I've seen, like this at all. Still not exactly my cuo of tea, but I would probably give the movie 4/5 if I were pressed to rate it. That's still barely a B-, but parts of it were VERY good, and it was unique and original in many ways.

So... I'm re-evaluating my position a bit based on the fact that I judged the film from an early scene that hit a nerve that most people who aren't me wouldn't understand. Yah.

Also, Symbols, it IS out on DVD/Bluray ... right now. Would love to hear your thoughts.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|