View Single Post
Old 07.08.2015, 06:36 PM   #2
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
ok, I'll start the convo...

Robert Glasper Trio's COVERED is really good. Like really really good. This is a trio recording live at Capital Studios to a small crowd. Basically, he takes some of the more experimental collaborations he did for his BLACK RADIO albums and strips them down for a trio.

I'm not familiar with his drummer Damion Reid but dude smokes. The drums on "I Don't Even Care" are frantic drum-n-bass and one has to wonder how he keeps it going. The track ends w/ a brief interpolation of The Roots' "you got me." It's awesome.

Glasper himself is insane. Like, you'll think "how can he do that w/ only 2 hands?" kind of stuff.

They also cover Radioheads' "Reckoner" and Musiq Soulchild's "So Beautiful" and tracks by John Legend and Bilal.

"In Case You Forgot" is a crazy 13 min... thing. I can't describe it. Part free jazz, part ballads, part modal decay.

LOUDER AND SEV WOULD BOTH BE INTERESTED TO KNOW that Glasper has played piano on Q-Tip's THE RENAISSANCE, and Kendrick's TPAB.

In fact this ends w a version of "Im dying of thirst"

Here's a vid of one of Jhane Aiko's "The Worst" from this performance: https://youtu.be/2g6MsY8vD1A