View Single Post
Old 10.23.2012, 06:24 PM   #16402
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
sorkin is a playwright and screenwriter who i think first got famous with "a few good men". then he went on to write a little tv show called "sports night" that was actually pretty good, considering, and from then he wrote what's probably the best show in the history of network tv (network, not cable)-- "the west wing." he was there for 3+ seasons and then was caught with a rock of crack at some airport and the show kept running for 3 or 4 more seasons but it was shit compared to the beginning.

went into recovery, not sure for how long, wrote "charlie wilson's war" which was pretty good in spite of having tom hanks in it, and more recently wrote the screenplay for "the social network," which you've prolly heard about.

his trademarks-- an obsession with politics, an obsession with smart overachieving characters, snappy clever dialogue (much like whedon but on more grownup subjects such as legal doctrines or nuclear warfare strategy), a strange love of gilbert & sullivan, highly functional drunks (tv ratings experts, white house chiefs of staff, u.s.senators), health-challenged elders (u.s. president w/ multiple sclerosis, t.v. station general manager recovering from a stroke), a weird love of gilbert+ sullivan, and various other "tics" that make him recognizable once you've watched enough of his stuff.

why we hate the prettyboy: exactly for the reason you mention. i remember i first liked his work in "12 monkeys" actually. but it's always grating, like you need to get his ridiculous celebrity out of the way in order to get to his acting. also probably jealousy that he gets to bang angelina raw, ha ha haaaa.

If he wrote the West Wing, then I'm a Sorkin fan without having realised. And your mentioning certain key themes in his screenplays definitely fits with Moneyball, which is ultimately about the behind the scenes politics of baseball.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|