View Single Post
Old 11.10.2006, 06:04 AM   #7
raging_nelly
stalker

raging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's asses
My Dad used to play me Drunken Butterfly really loud when I was about four and say 'This is proper music!.' I would be like 'Turn it off! It's too loud and it's old man's music (I pretty much refused to like anything my Dad liked back then)!' But I carried the famous line of 'I love you, I love you, I love you... what's yr. name?' with me all the way up until High School, where I was singing it one day walking along with a friend in the hope that he'd be like 'What's that?' and I'd be like 'Oh, it's Sonic Youth. Have you not heard of them? I have! I am cooler than you (or words to that effect!)!'

So yeah, I was the cool kid name dropping all these cool obscure indie bands back then. But one day in the car a coupla years ago, my Dad was playing Sonic Nurse to me (loud again). It was Pattern Recognition first (of course), and I remember thinking about how much I liked the sorta laid back semi-improvised style to it (oh yeah, and all the fuzz feedback o' course!), so I inquired to my Dad into what it was. Hearing it was Sonic Youth I was like 'Tsch! It's shit then!'

But then, in the weeks to follow, I secretly listened to Dirty (the only Sonic Youth album we had in the house at the time), figuring that I should really give this band a go since I pretended to know loads about them so regularly at school. I fell in love with that album pretty instantly. I decided to admit to my Dad that, yeah, Sonic Youth were good and it wasn't just old man's music! So, I went down to my Dad's mate's house and browsed his extensive record collection for every Sonic Youth record I could find and borrowed the lot. In the weeks to follow I listend to them regularly on my mp3 player and in time fell in love with the band.

Sonic Youth are now my favourite band of all time...

www.myspace.com/myboyslashmygirl

www.dischordmusic.blogspot.com

raging_nelly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|