View Single Post
Old 09.29.2009, 06:28 PM   #32
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
I think that you are misreading the point that I'm trying to make. I'm not saying that science is "wrong," but I'm saying that there are political/moral investments in it which are impossible to ignore. Private funds, trusts and foundations are extremely politicized. Of course, anybody can go out there and call themselves and scientific, conducting UFO experiments or whatnot. But the scientific research which is considered to be a important contribution/worthy of being published/being released tends to come out of established universities (which have investments of their own), and are on topics which are considered "in" at the time. My girlfriend is an editorial assistant at one of the primer scientific publications in the country and she is constantly witnessing evidence in regards to what i am talking about. For example, fields such as evolutionary psych are totally "in" (lots of drug companies have shitloads of investment in those) and studies in evolutionary psychology are much more likely to be studied than it other fields. There have always been and will continue to be scientific movements that respond to the questions of that time. Think the cold war, as we suddenly are finding ways to get to the moon while, at the same time, our culture is enthralled with the idea of escaping our barberic nature and going back to nature (ie the sudden emergence of primatology)

I disagree with what you are saying about discourse being important if a culture is well-educated. I think that science serves as a narrative in which we justify things because they have been proven "truth." there is, in my opinion, a horrific problem with that fact that most people believe things which are scientificly "accurate" just because they were taught that they are proven. Once again, the political implications of this process is absolutely horrific. For example, just think about the consquences which it has had in terms of race.

And I agree, there is never a way that we can grasp the "whole truth." I guess I have an issue with the idea of "process" though because, in my opinion, the world is a mystery with every question and breakthrough complicating matters even more.

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|