View Single Post
Old 02.06.2014, 07:32 PM   #17704
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
atsonicpark and I would get into heated exchanges about film, art, how to view things, how to judge things, intellectual things. I am the better person for it.

rob, im glad you posted this today cuz yesterday i was at my wit's end trying to figure out how to answer your summary dismissal of monty python. so thanks for the opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Shit has just as much influence as gold. Influence does not = worth.

right, but there are also shit tastes and shit opinions. your taste judgments aren't universal. just because they don't do much for you it doesn't automatically turn them into shit for everyone else. millions of intelligent fans overrule your judgment, and monty python remains an icon of late 20th century culture and a seminal comedy troupe. yes, they are not for everyone, and maybe you don't get them because their imitators watered them down for you first, but they can't be dismissed as if they didn't matter--that would be ignorant.

for example, i have no taste for horror movies. i really don't like them. but just because i don't like them i can't be saying that they are shit or irrelevant or that they aren't important. horror films are important to the audiences, to the culture, and to film itself, even if they don't particularly appeal to me. i am not the whole of the culture, thank fuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I've not seen that film but I'm glad you said that. She's one of those who's famous and respected but still doesn't get the praise I think she deserves. And almost inconceivably beautiful. Which may be her problem re critical recognition.

well she looks amazing in the movie but she can also fall apart right before your eyes and she does it so incredibly well it's spooky.

there are more things i'd like to mention about it, but i fear the spoilers. so check it out and let me know what you think.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|