View Single Post
Old 08.17.2010, 01:20 AM   #11917
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Haha.. Devil.. The audience at our screening was laughing throughout that trailer, and when M. Night's name came up, I swear that you could hear a collecive groan and many, "Oh no" and "fuck him", etc. Hadn't heard of an Alien prequel..

Re: Expendables; the trailers make the film look SO boring. I wouldn't consider any of those people "action stars", except Sly... well, Bruce and Arny are but they're only in it for like 2 minutes, right? I mean, seriously, Van Damme has done better films than anybody in the film not named Sly, and how can you make an "all-star" action movie without Chow Yun Fat (The Killer, A Better Tomorrow, and Hard Boiled = 3 best action films ever, imo)? Just seemed silly, all those oldschool dudes who never made good movies to begin with, and some newer ones who are just embarassing. Statham is cool; I like Lock Stock and Snatch okay; obviously, I'm a huge fan of the Crank films. But STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN?! Jesus fucking Christ... either way, I'll probably end up seeing it. Eh, nah, I'll see Scott Pilgrim again.

Watched this, without subtitles:

A Simple Noodle Story, aka A Woman, A Gun, and a Noodle Shop. I know I missed out on a lot since there were no subs, but from what I could tell, this film was garbage. The only reason I watched it was because it's a Blood Simple remake. Weird. My advice is to just re-watch Blood Simple, which I think remains the Coens' best film -- I know a lot of people don't like it, but I think it's a bit misunderstood. It's a simple movie, motivated by the psychology of characters, and I just love its atmospherics, its love of trivialities.

re-watches:

FALLING DOWN - 5/10
Not as good as I remember. Michael Douglas is embarassing and laughable. This film is implausible and unsatisfying. It reminds me of Fassbinder's WHY DOES R. HERR RUN AMOK (an easy 10/10, one of my favorite films ever) but, y'know, mainstream-Hollywood-ridiculous. Entertaining enough but I loved it a lot more when I was 14.

KILL ME AGAIN - 8/10

Picked this up at a pawn shop for $1. I remember renting this a long time ago and watching it twice in one evening. This movie is so good. I don't like Val Kilmer or Michael Madsen, and this film is so good! Haha. John Dahl is quite awesome; Rounders, Last Seduction, and especially Red Rock West (which is very similiar to Blood Simple, btw) are amazing films. Kill Me Again and Joy Ride aren't too bad either. As far as unpredictable thrillers go, this is one of the best.
atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|