Thread: 1967
View Single Post
Old 09.30.2014, 01:26 PM   #13
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
if you want to listen to Brel, I recommend the live shows over his albums, at least that's what I listen to most. Some links:
A BBC documentary: Jacques Brel - Legends (Documentaire BBC - 2007)
it's quite well explained in the documentary why his live shows were so impressive, so I won't be doing it.
My favourites are his (two?) live albums at the Olympia in Paris. One is on youtube (as actual movie): Jacques Brel - Les adieux à l'Olympia ( 1966 )
but my all time favourite is the one from 1964, it should be possible to find that as single tracks on youtube. It was in high rotation in my car for a very long time (that's about five years ago).

this is also a very good quality vid:
Jacques Brel in concert (1964)(in Netherlands)
1967 is not his best year probably either, he was burnt out already. He was doing farewell tours in 1966 and 1967.

Damn, and now that we're talking about the French music. Here's another legend. This was also 1967:

Brigitte Bardot & Serge Gainsbourg - Je t'aime ,moi non plus
That song is very cheesy and therefor totally underrated, but check out some of his other work, he's so good. This one for instance from 1971:

Histoire De Melody Nelson
you can probably look up the English translation somewhere
One of my all time favourite classic albums, together with Crosby Stills Nash & Young, and all their solo efforts from around that time

Oh the Outsiders. Cool, are they known in your country? I don't really know them, Wally Tax (the singer) is (was?) a famous name over here, but I never listened to him.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|