View Single Post
Old 04.18.2007, 03:18 PM   #147
sarramkrop

A while ago I managed to dig out Norman Dolph's email address and ask him a couple of questions that had occured to me after reading the Joe Harvard book. Amazingly, he was kind enough to reply and has given me permission to post the answers here. So....

Q: Did you ever make any headway in your investigations as to whether Columbia (or anyone) still has the orginal tapes from the Scepter sessions?

ND: No but I suspect it is on Columbia Record Productions shelf at Columbia records Archive Storage in Iron Mountain. I know there will be a blue 5 x 7 index card there which will list all the facts about the tape and the disk and to whom the tape was returned if the tape is not there. If I am listed as the returnee of the tape, then I gave it back to Warhol - but I don't recall handling anything but the acetate after the fact. It is my belief that Warhol/Vu kept the multtrack master and the reference acetate. The tape from which the reference was cut (John Licata's mix) could still be sitting in the vault at Iron Mountain. filed under that XTV number.

Q: Do you recall whether the track 'There She Goes Again' was recorded in the sessions over which you presided? I'd always assumed so, but on the other hand it's not included on the acetate that's recently made it into circulation...

ND: That is curious, I need to give that some thought. There she goes again was on the original session.
[...]
The Holy Grail for all of this would be the cassette tapes Warhol had running in the control room (he was only there for a relatively small part of the sessions) but always carried a recorder just to "sop up" what ever was going on. If there is an archvist in Pittsburg, and the tapes are dated, you would find some interesting stuff I am sure.

---

There are also one or two other things that I'm waiting to hear back from him on!