View Single Post
Old 07.31.2007, 08:10 PM   #93
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
The differences between British and American folk traditions really fascinate me. I'm quite knew to both (and admitedly favour the UK style) but it would seem that given differences in both countries' history, the UK style has more of a medievelist slant to it - both in terms of structure and, at times, instruments used.

Given the limits of my knowledge, I also see this translate into a real sense of the pagan in lots of British folk, whereas American folk seems more interested in issues of social 'authenticity'. As such
the Brit tradition (at least during the 60s-70s) seems more escapist and therefore less tied to political issues than the American one.

That said, bands like Fairport Convention were heavily influenced by American rock from the '60s. Their American equiv. is probably The Band (who FC really admired) in that they both brought in trad. songs but played them in a more 'modern' style.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|