View Single Post
Old 03.26.2006, 05:21 PM   #3
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
They didn't put anything in writing about the teaching assistantship, but they had to give me incentive to come. I understand, they have to offer the jobs to the new people to get them to come. I'm already here. And there are 5 prospective grad students coming in (maybe). What's annoying is that I'm almost certainly more qualified than the majority of the new people....

I'm going to try to find a more suitable job. I'm not oppossed to manual labor - I don't think I'm beneath it. I did my share growing up. More honest work. But there's something unseemly about the service industry. Restaurant managers are always A+ tools and the servers are always alcoholic dimwits prostituting their personality and appearance for more alcohol money.

I know it's been said a million times, but the academic life is a bitch and if you're not passionate about whatever it is you do, don't get into it. You can't care about money at all. There's something monastic about it. My professors think it is funny how I have to do these shitty jobs until I graduate. It's like some rite of passage into their little club. They're always looking at me with nostalgia in their eyes. Most people wouldn't envy my position and think I'm an idiot for being in grad school, but these guys (my professors) look back fondly on sacrificing so much for the sake of "learning".
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|