View Single Post
Old 11.19.2016, 02:29 PM   #4438
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
new Freud bio out, I've read the long one, so doubt I'd get too much out of the new one, but it did inspire me to reread Totem and Taboo and Civilization and Its Discontents, which I think were his 2 best (in reverse order)

There's a new Freud biography?

Don't tell any of my former profs or the folks who think of me as a hard-science stickler, but I've always LOVED Freud, and been fascinated by his life and "theories," not to mention his unintentional contributions to popular culture. In fact I once did a semester-long literature review of Freud, and it was a blast.

I absolutely agree that Civilization and its Discontents is essential and extraordinary (as is Totem and Taboo, to a lesser extent), especially if taken as a philosophical text... it's certainly not a psychological or psychiatric one in any way shape or form, but that should be immediately obvious to any reader who is familiar with proper scientific theory, and I think it's a real shame that the scientific community largely disregards it.

There's a lot of interesting ideas (no, not data, but ideas) about the nature and dynamics of social and cultural conflict. It's not like it should be taken as gospel, but it's worth reading for anyone with more than a one dimensional interest in understanding how the world works.

Sorry I got to babbling ... what's the bio like?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|