View Single Post
Old 05.01.2006, 08:54 PM   #56
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHandsOnTheBigOne
Because he didn't like the album he doesn't know who Sonic Youth is, or doesn't like the band? He was just one of many who thought that album sucked. I know plenty of Sonic Youth fans who think the album sucks.

If I remember correctly, the 0.0 score was more of a joke than anything. He was just using this album to vent his anger towards New York and his love for Chicago. Nothing to get offended over.

I don't understand the hate for Pitchfork. Seriously. No other music site that posts reviews gets so much shit. Pop Matters, Tiny Mixed Tapes, etc? No problem. Pitchfork? Satan. Haha. Ironically, I think Pitchfork is the best of the bunch. Not because of the reviews(I mean come on, a review is a review), but they update that site like a motherfucker. News, interviews, lots of good info and some intriguing articles every now and then. If it wasn't for Pitchfork I would be lost on lots of things. For example, I didn't know the Liars would be going on a world tour. I stop by Pitchfork, they inform me the Liars will be playing in my city in a month. Good times. No need for hate.

I think the ignorance displayed in the review was more telling than anything else. Some people might hate NYC G+F, but at least they know what they're talking about; this guy compared the record to Metal Machine Music - a more unlikely and unsuitable comparison you'd be hard pressed to find.

NYG G+F was like a meeting between the avant garde of John Cage and New York mid 1900's beat poetry with Sonic Youth's guitar workouts. It's not even SY's most difficult record (and I mean the big records, not SYR); Nevermind (What Was it Anyway) is not that far off a pop song, actually.

He can hate the record all he wants, but comparing it to a noise record is absurd. He only found the connection because both Lou Reed and Sonic Youth are from New York.

Why not just compare it to Merzbow too if it's an unrelenting and unmelodic noise opus? Ah, because he's never heard of Merzbow.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|