View Single Post
Old 04.20.2015, 07:28 PM   #3893
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i watched a movie of that book and it was okay but nowhere near as great as i had heard it was.

OF COURSE movies aren't books so i'm not going to judge it by that.

but seeing as how many fans of last exit to brookly are here-- can i ask why you liked it so much? thanks in advance.

The film version doesn't even come close.

It sounds like a cop out but you really have to read it to get a sense of it. It takes social realism to a level I don't think anyone's been, either before or since. It's written in a very intense way, with minimal punctuation, almost stream of consciousness, but without being self-consciously avant-garde. It just feels utterly appropriate. I suppose the only other book I can think of that does something similar is Irving Welsh's Trainspotting. But even that isn't quite at the same level. It's like there's 'realism', and then there's Hubert Selby.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|