View Single Post
Old 07.19.2006, 12:40 AM   #1
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
What's your one album that made your taste in music take a sharp left turn from which it has never returned?

Mine was Simple Minds' Sons and Fascination, bought in 1981 at the age of 14. I read a review of it in Smash Hits that said it knocked the socks off Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran, who were my faves at the time, so I went out and bought it. The fact that it was two albums for the price of one helped seal the purchase. I loved it and played it constantly, including one day at school, where it was heard by a Simple Minds fan a couple of years above me with whom I became friends. He loaned me his entire collection of 7" singles, which included loads of amazing stuff - Buzzcocks, Damned, Joy Division, Throbbing Gristle - that totally blew my mind, and got me listening to John Peel. From there it was a headlong fall for me into the more goth side of post-punk (Southern Death Cult, Danse Society, Sex Gang Children), and from there began the long strange trip to where I am today.

So a big thank you to Smash Hits, to Jim Kerr & Co, and most of all to Bob Bickers, wherever you now are. You all rock.

EDIT - On a whim, 30 minutes after first posting, I've just decided to turn this into a competition. I have two copies of Lee Ranaldo's Road Movies book - The spare one goes to my favourite response to the above question, regardless of where in the world the winner lives. It's not what album you name that I'm interested in, it's your explanation of why it changed music for you. You have a week to post, and the judge's (e.g. my) decision is final. The winner will be notified by pm and by a post in this thread. If the winner already has a copy of the book, he or she can nominate another poster to receive it instead.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|