View Single Post
Old 12.07.2016, 11:03 AM   #48318
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
you're talking about Everything Will Be Alright In The End, and yes I do. There isn't a Weezer album I dislike honestly. I mean some I like more than others. But I think I *might* MIGHT prefer the white album to "the one w/ the monster on the cover". It's so good. I mean if you like Weezer at all, I'd think you'd like the white album. "Do You Wanna Get High?" or "Thank God For Girls" - maybe give those a spin again?

Red album is super weird. It is really a sore thumb in their discography which is prob why I like it so much. Like, the back half has songs sung by not Rivers which is very unique. Gives it almost a weird mixtape feel. The first half is all Rivers - and every song is good except "Dangerous." Then you all the sudden get Brian Bell's "Thought I Knew" which reminds me of Brighten The Corners era Spiral Stairs, and the whole album shifts gears and then clsoes w/ Rivers' "The Angel And The One" which is classic Weezer quiet sad dude ending song a la "Butterfly". So good (then there's 4 bonus tracks if you got the deluxe).

I ramble. Sorry. But yeah, Weezer. Love them so much. Still. I threw Blue Album in my car this morning to go old school now.

Well, you know me (sort of ) and I don't hold music against people, certainly not when it's an artist like Weezer that I grew up listening to. So I just did the fact that you care enough about a band to follow them and think about them and how they've grown and changed. That's the kind of talk I live for.

But I *probably* won't find much to like about any Weeer from this millennium I'm sorry to say.

Part of it is that they were SO Big for me in the early-mid '90s, soundtracking crushes and nerd sessions in the garage with my friends, providing material for me to "cover" (poorly) with my friends in our first little band, and playing on my headphones over the summer, that their music is just inexorably connected to my youth. I may listen to Blue or Pinkerton couple of years, on a long drive, just for nostalgic fun, but I already had all the feels from those tunes, and I can't listen to it without thinking of junior high. Their post '00 output didn't do enough for me to keep me interested.

They're not a massive disappointment the way Modest Mouse is (Jesus, that band was once one of my all time favorites live and on record, but wow did they start sucking shit after Moon & Antarctica), but that's partly because they were never as promising as MM was in '97.

I'll put on the red album right now on Apple Music just to show you that I'm open minded and willing. But don't expect a re-evaluation.

I genuinely think it's cool that you're so into the band though. There are very few bands with that sort of adolescent wackiness that still sound relevant to me today. Like Sevadoh... Pavement to a lesser extent... Flaming Lips because they went so far beyond their "hijinx and shenanigans" phase and made several pieces of genuinely powerful music. But not many others.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|