View Single Post
Old 11.02.2006, 11:50 PM   #3
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthoftomorrow
i'm looking for something cheap ($100 or less, preferably) but nice.

any suggestions?

also, would i need to buy anything else to record with my computer (like a mixing board or something)?

cheap but nice is an oxymoron when it come to audio software. for free you can get a prog called audacity but it doesn't sound that great. i would stick away from protools because its editing functionality is pretty average and m-audio and mbox sound card do not sound that good. if you want cheap and with some quality i would buy a small hardware four track rather than go down the software path. unless you are going to spend good money ie. a few thousand dollars you won't be geting something nice.

here are some to look up

cubase
digital performer
protools
pyramix

and sound cards

motu
rme
metric halo
digi 002 but these are big 2ru cards that take quite a bit of room, and the motu, rme and metric halo ones have more options for input and output in a 1ru unit. the motu traveller can be used as a stand alone digital mixer also which i use mine for that particular job also and it is solid.

lower end sound cards

protools mbox
maudio
edirol

and in the end after all that the signal is only as good as the cables and connections it travels through

neutrik
canare

you could buy a small console but i wouldn't bother, but if you are interested mackie do an all right analog firewire console which is ok it is called onyx
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|