View Single Post
Old 11.11.2008, 03:06 AM   #34
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I think it's highly unlikely they would go back to the early '80s sound(s), because they are not those people anymore. I wouldn't want them to pretend to be in their late 20s and early 30s, because they aren't and it would be embarrassing for them and for us.

That doesn't mean they can't rock, or be noisy, but it does mean they can't hide that they know a hell of a lot more about musicianship than they did then. Also their "the world is going to end soon" angst (which Thurston was pretty seriously vocal about in '84-'85) has been replaced by "the kids are going to be in college soon..." Personally, I think that both world perspectives can produce interesting art, but the one can't pretend to be the other without seeming like Metallica's Some Kind of Monster. Thankfully SY have always spared us those sort of mid-life crises.

I don't want them to recreate any album from their past. If there's a moment in recorded history I'd like to see replicated, it would be when they made Washing Machine.

Not that I want the new album to be another Washing Machine, I just want them to break free and be Sonic Youth like they did then. That album came on the heels of their most obvious attempts to "make it" in the "alternative rock" world (i.e. Dirty and EJST&NS), and while I don't hate those records I do hear the concessions to MTV 120 Minutes and indie rock cred all over them. Washing Machine is awesome because they finally seemed to realize that they weren't going to follow Nirvana to the charts. So they might as well write songs as long or as noisy as they felt like. Of course they were still totally melodic and catchy through most of the record, but there is this overwhelming sense of freedom that there hadn't been at those levels since the signed to DGC.

So now they've left the majors all together, and they are primed for freedom again. I don't want to begin to tell them how that freedom should be. Sure, I hope it's considerably edgier than Rather Ripped. I even think it will be, because why the hell wouldn't it? But I don't want them to rewrite "Death Valley '69" I want the new rock!

what he said.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|