View Single Post
Old 05.29.2012, 08:24 AM   #16088
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
Good call on dressed to kill. I think my favorite by de palma is sisters... I believe the hitchcock influence is evident in most of his work too. I kind of find him more entertaining than Hitchcock. Isn't Body Double in a way a homeage to some of his work? Even though I don't really consider him to be one of my all time favorite filmmakers or anything, I'd say he's one of the best I've seen when it comes to using the camera to tell a story. The split screen effect used in Sisters is very memorable to me. It was really clever to see the characters in separate locations going from one side to the next while the former couple is trying to clean/hide the whole murder. Then it eventually spirals into a strange direction that I didn't fully understand the first time I saw it.

Adam/Atsonicpark has a really interesting take on DePalma. Personally, I like his films but my ongoing problem with him as a director is that he seems to have trouble transcending his influences. Of that 'movie brat' generation, it doesn't take too much effort to identify the influences behind most of the directors involved but, while most managed to find their own voice too, I just don't think DePalma ever really has. I think Dressed to Kill is a great homage/tribute to Hitchcock/Argento but it doesn't really add anything particularly new or unique to them. In my opinion, obviously.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|